Tuesday, June 24, 2008

KL: Arrival and Public Transport into the city

I arrived in KL with enthusiasim and confidence. There was 1 group of 4 "white" girls on the plane (US or Canadian). I quickly realized I was already much better off than they were. I asked them a few questions about landing cards and ATMs, just to see their experience. I was initially confused as I did not need to fill out a landing card, not were any such cards anywhere to be seen. In the past, they have let me in, no problem, but I have always needed to fill out a little form stating my flight and passport #. Here, I simply gave the customs officers my passport, said hello, and he gave it back. Entance KL!

In the arrival hall, I stopped at Duty Free to pick up a bottle of wine for my friend Marc's 30th. The selection was slim and shitty, so I got a bottle of Absolut for $10. I figured it would last longer and it cost about the same as any of the bottles in the store. I then bumped into the white girls who were having a horrible time getting money- they didn't, but the ATM gave me 500 RM (about $180) no problem.

I got my bag and a ticket on the KL Ekpress, a 28 minute direct train ride into KL Sentral... the same bus/train station I encountered last summer. The ride cost me 35 RN (or $10) The man at the ticket booth said I would have to go outside to catch the monorail to the area of the city I was staying, Jl Bewkit Bintang (litteral translation: Street Hill Star). There are about 5 public train/monorail systems/lines in the city, however none of them are connected so it is often much easier to take a taxi.

Upon arrival, I walked around the station trying to get my bearrings and see if I could find a sign for the Monorail. I saw ticket booths for two other train lines, and finaly understood where I had walked in my drunken/hungover state last summer at 4 am trying to take the bus to the domestic airport. I asked a woman at a ticket counter which way it was to the monorail; she said "outside." I went outside and discovered I was on the 2nd floor of an 'arrivals' area.... no monorail in sight. I walked 1/4 around the building and entered from another door. I asked another man where to find the Monorail. He repiled, "outside." I Asked "where outside." To which he said I had to go down the stairs and then ask someone down there where to go next. I had seen those stairs... the sign said it was the way to the bus stop. Either way I followed his advice. As soon as I got down stairs a woman from the bus company said, the monorail is donw the footpath. I started walking down the median btween the Taxi pick-up and the bus drop off. I got to the end. No monorail. I began to walk back, really wanting to get in a Taxi. The taxi would have been about 10-15 RM ($2-3) depending on my bartering skills (which at that time would have been useless due to my frustration, sweaty state, and overall level of tiredness) I knew the monorail would have been less than 2Rm (<$1). I began to take a look at the big picture. On the other side of a little "market" I saw a raised platform... my beloved Monorail. Why didn't she say "Turn down into the lane with all the shops / stalls / people trying to sell you crap" I knew I would have walked right there.

From there I got on the Monorail and took about a 10 minute ride with 5 short stops. It winded throughout the city and dropped me off less than 2 KM from the train staition; but it was much better than walking. Plus, one of the stops was the final scene from Entrapment whent Sean Connery tricked the police and got on the monorail and got away. I was very excited. The walk was about 2 minutes and 2 Starbucks from the Monorail stop. I made it to my hotel and into my room within 2 hours of landing on the runway. I was very pleased with myself and my abilities not to take the easy way out. I spent 36.90 RM ($11) and made it on my own. I know 3 years ago upon arrival in Bangkok, my 1st trip to SE Asia, I quickly opted for the$30+ taxi ride. I think I have come a long way!!!

No comments: