Sunday, June 29, 2008

Life on the Perhentians

I have been here a few days now and they seem to just go by. I have not done much of anything, as I am trying to take care of my foot. (unfortuneately, my scrapes did get infected and I am working to get rid of the infection) Considering I have not dove at all yet, I am quite happy.

Each morning I go down and have breakfast overlooking the sea. I read in the restaurant where it is cool and shady. I will sometimes get on the internet to check email or make travel plans (mostly research as I have made no plans to leave the island as of yet). Sometime after 12, I go to my room, sublock up, and go to a chaise on the beach under a palm tree. I read there for the rest of the afternoon.

I frequently have to go up to my room, as I am drinking about 2-4 liters of water each day. On my walk, I usually encounter a salamander of varying sizes hidden within the path. Sometime in the late afternoon I have lunch, curry or mee gorgen (fried noodles), when I get hungry. The sun hits my chair around 3:30-4 and then I have to cover up and add more sunblock. I continue to read until 6:30ish, when I go take my shower and get ready for dinner.

I eat either at my accomodation, or I walk down the beach to one of the restaurants on the sand at the other end. Often I will make a peach Vodka cocktail with the bottle I got at duty free. After dinner I go back to read a bit before bed. I must take down all the bathingsuits, towels and sarongs off the line becuase it seems to rain in the middle of each night. I have already lost a shirt to the mud from the prevailing winds.

I know it doesn't seem like much, but it is surprisingly relaxing. Today I went for my first snorkel (without fins), and I am confident I will dive tomarrow. The hard part is, unless you are in the water, it is virtually imposible to be in the sun from 11-3 becuase it is sooooooooo, soooooooooo hot. I think I will be hear 9-10 days or so, as it has taken me a bit to get into the water. Plus, the accomodation is quite nice, the food is good, and life on the island is quite agreeable.

No comments: